[OM] Re: Allen Please Leave

Subject: [OM] Re: Allen Please Leave
From: Bob Docherty <lostkase@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:44:36 -0500
 In my younger days I had a tendency to spend more time that was rational in
bars. I had a few neighborhood watering holes I was considered a regular in.
When I first walked into a new bar, I always tipped big, laughed hard, told
jokes,  and kept quiet on other subjects until I knew the lay of the land. As I
got to know folks, I could relax a bit and kid around more.
 I never quite understood it when a stranger or two would come in and act like
they owned the place. They'd start out rude and as the drinks flowed headed for
worse. Where in the world they they thought they were was a mystery to me. I'd
seen a number of fights break out but never saw a newcomer walk out of any of
my  bars under their own power after trying to start trouble with a regular.
Everyone else in the place knew who belonged and who didn't.
 When joining any social group there is a period of fitting in. Attacking
regulars can often lead to head concussions. Patience and humility should be
the rule. Understanding you don't know what is going on yet should be common
sense. Talk quietly and don't get hit with a big stick.