[OM] Re: NEW RULE (Was Re: Re: Baned for Life)

Subject: [OM] Re: NEW RULE (Was Re: Re: Baned for Life)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:29:56 -0800
Johann Thorsson wrote:
> The list nanny should consider posting the forum rules and etiquette every
> now and then, could be done automatically.  That should include appropriate
> use of subject headings [WTB], [OT], etc., how messages can/should be
> truncated etc.

Certain of us are rather contrary. Past efforts to agree on such things
as top vs. bottom postings just result in a flurry of posts. And those
on the actual subject often seem to find ingenious ways to disagree that
go beyond the original question.

It seems, based on past experience, that a majority of active members
(By definition, we don't know publicly what lurkers are thinking.) like
fluid, loosely defined, community based "rules", or whatever you want to
call that.

Simple example, top vs. bottom posting. Assuming you have plowed through
a couple of my lengthier posts, you may have noticed that I top,
multi-middle and bottom post, and also sometimes have quoted text from
more than one prior post on the subject - all in an effort to produce
something responsive and coherent in the context of what has come before
in the thread. That doesn't fit any rule, but does fit the common sense
"rule" of trying to make sense.

I suppose it would be nice if people sould change subject lines as the
thread drifts in different directions. I try, but am far, far from
perfect. Once the thread has bi/tri/multi-furcated, changing the subject
sets the next part of the drifted thread apart from its predecessors, so
I don't even try and just go with the flow. Past requests to do this
have met with limited success.

Personally, I might feel obliged to leave any list with posted, enforced
rules as a matter of principle.

Not much danger of that, I think. Assuming you have been listening, how
many of the regulars do you think would pay any attention to published
rules, other, of course, than to intentionally break them? Who would be
the enforcer? How would enforcement be handled? How would the enforcer
assure his/her personal safety? If somebody booted one of my buddies
off, I'd be pissed! Of course, I'm an unarmed pacifist, but probably in
the minority.

(Insert various smilies, winkies, frownies, etc., as appropriate to your
needs for safety and TLC, above, but no ironies. Ironies require
separate posts.)

Moose