[OM] Re: What the function of this button on the P1?

Subject: [OM] Re: What the function of this button on the P1?
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:36:22 -0500
Moose wrote:

> The thing that keeps amazing me is that the E-thingie time isn't a
> technical imitation, but a failure of imagination and failure to think
> through what will be important to many users.

That is the statement that bothers me the most.  If I understand you
correctly, you indicate Oly had a failure of imagination because even
though they they came up with the idea of automatic sensor cleaning (an
innovation important to many, many users) they failed to come up with
the best ways to implement that idea.  Geez Moose.  You seem to have
forgotten that Oly designed, built and integrated the auto sensor
cleaning system into their first pro DSLR at a time when C DSLR users
were back in the Stone Age, reluctant to change lenses in the field or
at the least, were paranoid about doing so.  If one were to judge
harshly one could say C had a major failure of imagination when they
designed their first DSLRs without any means of automatic sensor
cleaning who only later, came to their senses.

Is C's sensor cleaning design and implementation better than Oly's?
Faster it seems.  I don't need it to clean when I turn the camera off
nor do I feel the need to interrupt the process in order to not miss a
shot.  That's not to say that there are not others that do require those
things.

I did another test this morning.  I stood on the deck facing the house
with the camera off (lens cap removed, ISO, WB, aperture set to what I
wanted with the camera in aperture priority mode) and imagined a Blue
Heron off to my right standing in the stream.  I turned the camera on,
turned to the right bringing the camera up to my eye, zoomed quickly to
compose the image and pressed the shutter.  It focused and took the
shot.  I didn't sense any lack of imagination from Oly, only pure genius.

> Nope. You've seen this shot before,

Beautiful shot BTW and whether it was captured with a C or an Oly makes
little difference to me. I'd rather celebrate the photographer and
his/her vision. :)

Peace,
Richard
--