[OM] Re: OT - Question for the scanning Wizards on this list.

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Question for the scanning Wizards on this list.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 13:47:35 -0500
Bill, I posted about this very subject a few weeks ago with exactly the
suggestion that Winsor has given you.  I read about it in Ctein's new
book "Digital Restoration From Start to Finish: How to repair old and
damaged photographs".  It's simply superb for anyone using PhotoShop or
Picture Window Pro working on digital photos whether doing restoration
or not.
<http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Restoration-Start-Finish-photographs/dp/0240808142/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3192476-2323027?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173465267&sr=8-1>

Ctein addresses the issue of restoring images printed on textured paper
on pages 305-312.  He does it by treating the pattern as wide area
"noise" and uses Neat Image to get rid of it.  Neat Image has sliders
that control low, mid and high frequency noise (fineness of the detail).
  He also discusses using Picture Window Pro to do the same since PW Pro
has built-in noise reduction as part of its advanced sharpening work
flow.  In other words, get the noise out before sharpening.

I thought this was ingeniuous.  Really thinking outside the box to
recognize the pattern of textured paper as an oversize version of
digital noise or grain.  It's also interesting to note that the noise
reduction software seems to have the range of adjustments necessary to
go large.

I strongly recommend that you get his book.  After reading it you will
probably go back to ground zero since he clearly points out that good
results start with the scan.  Surprisingly, you will also learn that the
best scan for restoration may well be one that *doesn't* accurately
reproduce the image as it presently looks on paper.

Wish I'd had this book 3 years ago.  Very highly recommended.

Chuck Norcutt