[OM] New model comparisons

Subject: [OM] New model comparisons
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:17:11 -0500 (EST)
I've been comparing the specs of the newly announced DSLR products to the
comparable older versions.  My information comes from the Olympus UK/Ireland
web site.

The E-410 seems to be about the same mechanically as the E-400; the sensor,
processor and LCD changed.  More seems to have been changed in the E-500 -> 510
transition.  Besides the electronics upgrades, IS and obvious changes to the
body design,  the viewfinder system is now apparently the same as the E-410.
The 16mm eyepoint of the 500 is now 14mm on the 510. As an eyeglass wearer and
E-1 (20mm eyepoint) owner, that seems a bad thing to me.

Looking at the kit lenses, it appears that the trade-offs generally work out
for the better.  For a half-stop less on the 40-150 zoom, and 3mm off the
telephoto end on the standard zoom, the new lenses are more compact,
substantially lighter, and focus closer.  Also the web site indicates that the
new lenses work with the EC-14, no "manual focus recommended."

The focusing mechanisms are also different, front focus for the old lenses,
internal focus for the new lenses.  Any idea  what the practical differences
between them are?

Of course, actual hands-on experience will be needed to see how optical and
build quality compare with the old versions.

One minor detail has me puzzled.  The lens caps and lens hoods  are different.

         Lens Cap     Lens Hood
14-45      LC-58B       LH-61
40-140 3.5 LC-58B       LH-61B

14-42      LC-58C       LH-61C