[OM] Re: lighting, the case for packs

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting, the case for packs
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:08:22 -0800 (PST)
Chuck and Jan have been duking it out regarding monolights vs pack
lights.  I see a third option, one of which I'm running with.

Pack lights are highly beneficial in a studio environment where the
centralized triggering and power control are right in one place.
Granted, the Alien Bees remote power control helps level the playing
field a little, but the power cycling and high quantity of flash
bursts, such as fashion photography, tends to cook electronics. By
placing most of the cookable electronics into a single overbuilt
power-pack tends to reduce the acrid odor of a fried transformer or
capacitor.

Monolights are much better for location photography for the very
reasons Chuck mentioned.  However, you need radio recievers for every
monolight in the system.  Also, for when you don't have a nearby
power plug, you can always use an UPS for AC.

The third option, of which I'm building up, is a totally portable
system based on Vivitar 285HV flashes. Granted, they don't put out
that much power, but they are small, battery powered, and easily
mountable to nearly any location.  In reality, there isn't very many
situations where a set of 285HVs isn't sufficient in output.  The
biggest drawback to this style of flash is the lack of modelling
lights.  Also, recycle times...  I just picked up another one today
for $40.  At a new price of $89 at B&H, I can buy a bunch of these
things for far less than a two-light pack setup.

AG

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/