[OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:06:56 -0800
Thanks for the kind words and your thoughts on the differences
expressed on camera brands, Joel. I have read many of the equipment
threads because they interest me. Well, not flash or third party
lenses. I realize that most of them have to do with Oly or Canon or
both and that I don't have an ox in there to be gored and get my
feelings hurt, but it still seems to be that there is just a
discussion of differences in preferences and not an attempt to
denigrate someone's choice of a shooter. I realize that my camera
does not have the smooth creaminess at high ISO possessed by the 5D
and that I have to clean its sensor from time to time unlike an Oly,
but it has its own compensations for me. I suppose that if others
started discussing its flaws I would point out what I like about it
too and point out why their features don't mean so much to me the way
I shoot.

I think what may be misunderstood is an occasional angry or disgusted
comment about Oly the company. We have all been Oly users and many of
still have and may use some Oly equipment. We are still rooting for
the company with vision and originality that produced the OM cameras
and we get impatient with what appears to be stupid moves that
further imperil its future as a camera maker. It really is concern
that prompts one of those outbursts, not a desire to make someone who
owns an Oly digital feel bad for his choice. We all need Oly
successfully pushing the envelope out there and you can get a grin
when the biggest camera company copies one of the features on your
camera.(Mac people are familiar with that feeling :-) , but I admit I
like my Logitech multibutton trackball with a scroll wheel from a PC
company)

And of course there are the equal opportunity curmudgeons who may be
ragging on your company today but were taking potshots at someone
else's three weeks ago. I have a younger brother who does not
understand the rules when he plays the curmudgeon game. You can't do
that with older people in the room.  Curmudgeonry is the oldest guy's
sport and has to be done with good humor to be tolerable even then.
That is why the movies had grumpy old men in the title.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA