[OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 03:41:26 -0500
On Sun March 11 2007 3:02 am, Walt Wayman wrote:
> I've been a XyWrite user for many, many years, and everything there comes
> from the command line. I bet there's not one person in 100 today who even
> knows what a command line is. Mouse and click is the answer today. But it
> ain't bad. :-]
>
> Walt

I find that neither pure command line nor pure mouse is the answer for me. On
anything that is repetitive I'm  much more comfortable with a a keyboard
interface. On the other hand selecting cut and paste material is usually
easier with a mouse. Right now I'm running SUSE linux with a KDE desktop.
I've fallen in love with having multiple desktops that I can switch between.
>From my experience there are things I like and don't like about any operating
system that I've used.

With linux I like the availability of a very powerful command line (bash among
others), the stability(my computer has been on for 20 days 14 hours 5
minutes), freedom from viruses, and with enough effort it can be configured
anyway you want. What I don't like about it is the less that complete support
from vendors for hardware and installing hardware and programs can be much
harder in Linux. KDE doesn't handle fonts as well as ms windows. Open office
still isn't as good a word processor as MS Word is, or least for me. There is
also a for the lack of a better word a 'nerdiness' to linux world that isn't
necessary. The supporters tend to be zealots that turn me off. They adopt the
attitude of "If you would spend 15 days RTFM then you would be asking this
question"

What I don't like about Microsoft OS's is that I feel they tend to be bullies.
Windows tends to try to force you to do things it's way instead of the way
you want to do it. It doesn't play well with others and it reminds me of
leaving a bunch of teenagers home alone over a weekend. It invites all kinds
of undesirable elements into your computer and lets them run amuck. As far as
I'm concerned IE is one of the worst programs out there.

 Just some randomthhought that I had at 4 in the morning.