[OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:30:03 -0500
On Sun March 11 2007 10:33 am, David Thatcher wrote:

> I expect it won't be long though, the level of uptake of Linux & it's
> similarity to real unix will mean the trojans will appear sooner or
> later. The nice thing is that if we make sensible choices about user
> login priveleges, the resulting damage can be kept to a minimum. To a
> degree the same applies to recent windows versions, but the user account
> has to be at administrator privelege to do anything nearly useful, thus
> negating the benefits of an account structure  :(

It may happen once in a while but I don't believe it will happen regularly.
Unless someone goes out of the way to make the machine vulnerable, then a
virus really can't embed itself into the operating system the way it can in
windows. Part of the problem with Windows is that IE and OE is so intermixed
with the OS that it is like giving every person that stops at your house a
copy of a key to your house and telling them where you keep you jewels. Even
though I know that servers are different animals in some ways than desktops,
there are enough Linux units hooked to the Internet as servers that if they
were easily hacked they would have been. With the source code available a
dedicated hacker can look at the OS programs line by line to find a spot to
get in. Since it hasn't happened I contention is that it hasn't happened for
reasons that go beyond there not being enough machines to propagate one. My
suspicious nature wouldn't find it beyond imagination that there are people
in Redmond that get payed to work on such things