[OM] Re: [OT] X-Windows was: Re: Communications

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] X-Windows was: Re: Communications
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 02:35:10 +1100 (EDT)
Hi

> I expect it won't be long though, the level of uptake of Linux & it's
> similarity to real unix will mean the trojans will appear sooner or
> later.

Monitoring several blackhat lists over the years, finding ways to hack both
Unix and Linux has been a priority (as well as routers) as these give a
tremendous advantage to the invisibles and botnet herders. Note that
they have only succeeded a few times, compare that to Windows.

This is different to holes in certain programs like PHP and badly
written code, most of gaining access that way is kiddyscript stuff,
the grail is to gain wide spread root access to Unix and/or Linux
servers, allowing control of system logs and setting yourself up
as the hidden controller. So much better than having windows
computers that fall over when hacked, or fixed by the latest scans
or patches being applied automaticly, these are best left for
the herd computers.

I'll stick to my AIX (IBM's Unix) and OS/2.

I can travel to Kalgoorlie in Western Australia for a month and not
have any worry's about my home servers in Melbourne. I would be
sh$tting myself if I had to leave a Win server running unattended
and remotely with a 24/7 internet connection.

My Wife is happy to stick with her Mac(s).
Who annoys me the most for help ? My Windows using family members
and friends :-(

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/