[OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:06:35 -0700
I am business clueless too. And your reminder about the niche market
is well taken. I think it is the bloodbath we have seen in digicams
and the recent loss of Konica, Minolta, and Contax as well as the
entry of Sony who is usually a strong player in the marketplace that
is worrisome. Plus the experience of being abandoned by Oly seems to
underline the idea that they themselves no longer want to be that
much of a niche player and it is a big sign that they are not
philanthropic and expect to make a decent profit at it. Market growth
is slowing and all predictions I have seen are that the DSLR market
with be saturated in 2008. For Oly to be profitable allowing the
production of new cameras and lenses they not only will have to be
competitive at least in some ways, but will have to take some market
share from the big guys. They know how to compete. You just saw Canon
do a self cleaning sensor. One less reason to buy an Oly over a Canon
especially as that feature filters into the rest of the line.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA