[OM] Re: Mac Haters Ignore This [Was Re: Communications [was lighting]]

Subject: [OM] Re: Mac Haters Ignore This [Was Re: Communications [was lighting]]
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:16:18 -0700
I worked for a company which made testers, primarily for Intel CPUs.
Intel spent a lot of money testing their parts to find out which parts
could be sold to run at which speed. The parts were all the same
design but manufacturing variations cause some to run slower than
others.

It's imagineable that as the design matures they are able to produce
more high speed parts than people are willing to pay a premium for.
You probably can run your board much faster than guaranteed
particularly if you keep it cold and perhaps adjust the voltage a
little higher. But if you shove a lot of cards into your machine,
causing it to get hot and perhaps even causing the voltage to drop,
you may have a lot of random problems.

Generally CMOS runs faster at colder temperatures and higher voltages.

-jeff