[OM] Re: Hauppauge Service Center

Subject: [OM] Re: Hauppauge Service Center
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:52:29 -0400
At 01:28 PM 3/11/2007, Joel Wilcox wrote:

>Out of curiosity, what AF settings do you use?  Do you let the camera
>select the right, left, or center focus point, or do you select only
>the center point (as a few of us do)?

I have it set to the center only Joel.

>As you probably know, the firmware update for the 330 allows
>you do an initial autofocus in LV B by pressing the AEL button.

I have one of the custom modes set up that way.  Thought it might
work well if I wanted to do some landscape stuff on a tripod.

>   The
>red locator light for AF in the 330 is nice, but occasionally it's not
>quite focused where I thought it should be when I check the 10x view
>in LV (but it's usually pretty close).  That happens sometimes with a
>long lens, where I discover it's picked up, for example, a stray
>branch to focus on instead of my subject.

On a related note - have you ever seen any info as to the
relationship between the focusing area shown by the rectangle/square
in the viewfinder as compared to the actual area covered by the
focusing sensors?  I've read that on some Canon bodies the focusing
sensor covers a larger area than the indicator in the view finder
which, of course, could lead to unexpected results.

>Well, hope you get to the bottom of it.

Thanks Joel.  It won't be a big deal if I don't though.  I mostly
bought it for macro/closeup work and I plan to use manual focus for
most of that.  If they can tweak the AF and improve it's accuracy
it'll be just gravy on the biscuit.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson