[OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:37:44 -0700
On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 17:04 +1030, David Thatcher wrote:
> For me, what you see as the 'problem that no longer needs solving' is
> one of  the best things about it. I personally like the ability to
> offload processes to other machines, yet have their terminals/windows on
> my screen, run my apps on my workstation in my environment from another
> machine, or to haze the new guys by popping up random images on their
> screens! VNC can't compete here by comparison.
>
> davidt

I'd submit that those who don't see the utility of X have never (or
rarely) had to work in an environment where there's need to support lots
of folks on a network, day-in, day-out. It's darned near unbeatable for
that purpose.

I'm OS agnostic myself. Whatever works best to get the job done (and
irritates me least in the process) is what I'm likely to use at the
time.

---
Scott Gomez