[OM] What 'da think of this Markins base plate

Subject: [OM] What 'da think of this Markins base plate
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:38:39 -0400
Hi,
In armament acquisition mode for trip in a couple months.  My very modest
Velbon was not anywhere near sturdy enough for the Tam 400 f4----I doubt I can
lug it this trip though.  The quite light Vel does OK even with the Z. 50-250
as long as I bring my pellet  (bean) bag.  Thinking of Gitzo 1257 and adding
the Markins base plate, though still need a  hands on trial, if possible.  I
need things fairly light as I take over 60% of shots on trips due to time
constraints.  Hoping my choice will also be OK with the Tam 400  as well.
Seems some did not like the tripod  (FM site) due to vibrations but was quite
good with the markins gizmo.  Clearly some of the goals are in part mutually
exclusive though I'm not sure if the proposed compromise is reasonable.  Wanted
to check here first.  Any comments appreciated.

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/TB-20.php

Mike

AOL at AOL.com.