[OM] Re: Sensor Development was Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications

Subject: [OM] Re: Sensor Development was Re: PC-MAC Rant was: Re: Communications [...
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:22:14 EDT
In a message dated 3/11/2007 11:51:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

You are
already getting it and take a big hit in sharpness at F16 with 4/3
sensors at 8MP and APS-C sensors at 12MP. As the counts climb above
20MP with smaller sensors images are going to be too soft above F8 to
use. Pixel counts are going up rapidly.  Given the slowness of
standard zooms and the need to stop down at least one stop for better
quality you are going to be pretty much limited to one stop. Who
wants that? No one seems to be willing to say, "Stop, 10 or 15 MP are
enough." The one marketplace advantage 4/3 may have is the price of
its sensor.

One other advantage 4/3 has is one rarely has to use f16 to achieve enough
depth of field. Compared to full frame 35mm, we've determined we can open up
about 1-1/2 stops to achieve the same depth of field. Of course, if you're
trying
to minimize depth of field, the opposite is true. That's where Olys F2 lenses
are useful-and too expensive.

Gary Faulkenberry

http://www.aol.com.