[OM] Re: OT: French Empires

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: French Empires
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 02:44:06 +0100
Le dimanche 11 Mars 2007 17:27, Winsor Crosby a écrit :

> Also I do not understand something sure to be offensive to the
> members of the list who are French, have French relatives or friends,
> or who have warm memories of interaction with French people is OK
> because of a disclaimer about intent. Kind of like farting in an
> elevator after saying the same thing.

Let it be. It's not really offensive, it's just a sad proof of the record low
quality in history teaching of the US school system. On the other hand, it's
not always bad for us (french) to look like defenseless poor little things.
It would be a lot harder for us if the whole world knew France economy is the
leader in aggressive takeover on stock exchanges (by number - US is leader in
value, but the margin between our two nations is actually very small). Not to
shabby for a supposed "communist" country ;-þ

Just to nail it : France alone had more casualties in WWI alone than the USA
during all the wars of its history, civil war included, with our population
being only about one fifth of yours. In out long history, we've seen about
everything. Don't underestimate us : we have a long tradition of bloodbath,
and we're actually better at it than some think. In europe, we are the only
one with a full, independant army, with our boats, planes, and of course,
missiles and A-Bombs, all french made and out of US control. No other western
nation can say that.

--
Manuel Viet