[OM] Re: Mac Haters Ignore This [Was Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Mac Haters Ignore This [Was Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:07:51 -0700
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm pretty sure that everything was exactly the same - all he did was
> cut two microresistors and then solder bridge another two of the six
> available positions and the eMac immediately stopped being a 700 and
> became a 1.33GHz. It displayed that information and AFAIK it was
> exactly the same chip. The only difference was that the chip ran
> slightly hotter but still well within any safety margins and was now
> expected to last a mere 700 years instead of several thousand,
> according to the site with the hack instructions. :-)
> It seems like a quick and dirty way to achieve model differentiation.

I'm not saying you can't or even shouldn't do this. I was just
explaining that it wasn't some plot by Apple to sell slower machines,
or to make more money on faster machines that were exactly the same,
except for some jumpers and resistors.

The fact that you do it doesn't change the dash number that's stamped
on the processor. These things are graded and rated to meet a certain
clock speed spec. That spec is generally conservative, but imagine
how Intel might react if Apple sent back a few hundred thousand
chips, because they weren't working properly when run at a higher
speed than Intel said they should be run!

I'm not making this up. I was an EE in a former life.

:::: He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already
earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since
for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. -- Albert Einstein
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-6313-16>