[OM] Re: Mini Macro questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Mini Macro questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:21:38 -0700
Jan Steinman wrote:
> What Scott can't do with his reversed ZD lenses is shoot at anything
> except viewing aperture!
>
> I've been trying to convince him to get some adjustable extension and
> some manual-aperture lenses. THEN he'll be able to get more depth by
> stopping down
That's where the N lens aperture design is superior to Oly and the push
pin M42 designs.* Their lenses respond directly to the aperture ring
when not mounted. so one need not press the aperture tab blind when
operating the shutter. Kiron used to make a pair of a reversing ring and
a mount ring that wnet on the lens mount and pressed against the
aperture tab to make Zuikos work like Nikkors in this use.

In Scott's situation, I would consider looking for a Nikkor MF lens for
reversed use. In my situation, I'd use a 52=>49 mm adapter to mount the
old 55/4 Micro Nikkor on my bellows. A true macro lens designed for 1:2
should work very well at 2:1 reversed. This would also apply to the
Zuiko 50/3.5, but operation would be more onerous absent something like
a Kiron Reverse-Mate.

And as you say, the ability to control aperture is a key to DOF.

Moose

* I don't personally know about this aspect of other MF mounts, but it
appears that it may be true of Min*lta and Canyon FD, as well