[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:36:30 +1030
On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 11:17:05PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> But on a Mac, you can copy-n-paste between Gimp (on X-Windows) and
> Photoshop, or between Open Office and Microsloth Turd. You have to re-
> boot your Wintel box to switch from Gimp to Photoshop, or Open Office
> to Word.

Hi Jan,

I can't challenge either statement directly, as they are outside the
realm of my experience, but an inability to copy/paste between 2 text
apps running concurrently under Windoze _sounds_ unlikely, & the
necessity to reboot also sounds a little suspect, as I happily run the
Gimp & OpenOffice under WINXP from time to time (mainly because I don't
have $2000 to _waste_ on the proprietary 'equivalents').

Maybe you are correct that you _can_ do things like this on a Mac, but
obviously my point has been missed altogether. It's like running VMware
on a box on UNIX, then running a UNIX inside one of the virtual machines
with another VMware and another UNIX inside that. Sure, it's possible,
but WHY would you? It's like taking a cheese grater to your privates,
you can, but it's stupid thing to do because it just leads to pain &
misery.

If I wished to do so I could no doubt go through the pain of setting up
& running WINE under FreeBSD/X-windows, pay Mr G his exorbitant license
dollars, & happily do all of these, but then why would I do such a
thing? I'm trying to get away from the expense of that manufacturer's
products (and I don't like the idea of software piracy either).

In my experience I find the Mac OS UI restrictive & painful to use, You
may love it & good for you - end of discussion! If you use it for stuff
that you can only get on the Mac, again, good for you -and end of
discussion! If you like the look of the box & how it fits in your office
decor, good for you -and end of discussion. If you just want to be able
to look down your nose at all of the other computer users you know then
great, and  good for you - end of discussion. All of the above - however
silly my suggestions are- make it value for money for you, and that's
great.

But if you buy it & _just_ run X on it, I just can't see the value... my
paltry few hundred bucks worth of generic computer junk can do
everything I need, & has the potential for much, MUCH more, I can add
some other generic junk a bit at a time (like Grandad's axe, the head
has been changed a few times as has the handle, bit it's still the same
axe) up to a point, to get what I need.

At the end of the day, a Mac is still a Mac, like an X-BOX is still an
X-B0X. either you can get the game (software) for the platform or you
can't - if you can then you have your solution. You can emulate other
platforms at the cost of some performance, but you are limited in your
options. want to do something other than Mac with the hardware, then why
bother (unless of course it was a giveaway).

davidt