[OM] Re: OT Nationality, was Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Nationality, was Communications [was lighting]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:48:22 +1100
That may be a rather American distinction where the word patriot has
a particular meaning due to your revolutionary heritage. I'm not even
aware of 'patriot' being used much in the UK or Oz although
'patriotism' is. I'd suggest that outside the US, many people would
use the terms interchangeably and normally talk in terms of
nationalism - that word being tainted by its use by European fascist.
As one man said - two nations divided by a common language.
And as that great curmudgeon Sam Johnson said - "Patriotism is the
last refuge of a scoundrel." He wasn't defaming the concept, just the
people who use it.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx