[OM] Re: Mini Macro questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Mini Macro questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 03:06:04 -0700
Scott Peden wrote:
> Actually, I want the best close up's I can get. On occasion I can get a 5 mm
> object just right, though a lot of the 'on occasion' was me hand holding the
> camera reversed macro at 14 mm. I usually don't go there now, 34-45 mm
> reversed gets me more in focus and a little more depth.
>
> A good many of the flowers I take pics of are 1/2" or less across, I'm
> interested in them filling the frame and being able to see into their depths
> as there are critters in there and other odd stuff I've never imagined.

More musings on your dilemma. Why is full frame so important? What do
you intend to do with the images? Unless you are planning to create
large prints, requiring full frame just makes everything harder.

I know the E-500 is entry level and not up to some, more expensive
cameras, but the central portion of the image should be fine for filling
a computer screen and at least 5x7, probably with a little care, 8x10.

This also gets rid of a lot of lens problems. Curvature of field, linear
distortion and sharpness are all less of a problem in the central
portion of the image frame.

Here's a bromeliad shot with an outdated, entry level, 6.3 mp DSLR shown
full frame and cropped to full pixel. You can see how much detail there
is in a rather small central portion of the full frame
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Misc/Brom.htm>.

This shot of a cabbage is full frame, the next shot is cropped to full
pixel, all on a little 6.3 mp P&S the size of a pack of cards
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Iron4/pages/IRON4023.htm>.

It's possible you are not taking full advantage of your camera's
capabilities for the practical purpose at hand.
> Bringing most of the stuff home to photograph, well, it's gone then, so a
> bellows is out.

"If the critters won't come to the bellows, the bellows must come to the
critters."
> If you've missed my earlier posts on this, a short walk is 4 miles, most are
> at least 6 hours away from the car/or a man made environment, so the bellows
> is to much to carry when I am usually taking public with me too. So I'm
> trying to stay compact and fast most of the time.

Did anybody say it was easy? ;-)

Moose