[OM] Re: (OM) Vuescan and XP

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Vuescan and XP
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
> Tonight I downloaded the latest version of Vuescan for the XP
> machine.

How far behind were you?  I now make sure I download each and every
update right away.  Ed must be making some behind-the-scenes
incremental changes which might cause some problems in a jump.
However, I did notice a driver message pop up two updates ago.

> AFAIK, there is at least one area of photography where film and
> analogue Zuiko lenses have it all over digital shots...

Well, narrow DoF is definitely one area where FF 35mm does have a
slight advantage over 4/3 or APS formats.  However, there are a
number of tricks of the trade that can compensate nicely.  In fact,
I'm sure I could take some images with the E-1 which you would swear
was taken with FF 35mm.  Skill and treachery over technology.  :)

There are two other areas where film still rules:

1. B&W
2. Time Exposures

Digital B&W just hasn't arrived yet.  Those who think it has have an
altered sense of tonal dispersion.  It's getting closer, but still no
cigar.

Time exposures (aka 30 minutes to multiple hours) are NOT the realm
of digital sensors.  Even the 5D will choke on an hour-long
exposure--if you can even make it do it.

A third area, which I'm getting back into this year, is low-cost
multiple camera backups or deployments.  For weddings, events and
such, I need backups.  Well, instead of spending multiple thousands
on ANOTHER digital camera, I just spend a few bucks on enough rolls
of film to cover my needs.  My investment in film gear is pretty much
complete.

AG

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front