[OM] Re: Quantum Flash sold 150098349086

Subject: [OM] Re: Quantum Flash sold 150098349086
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:15:36 -0700
Bill has described the differences probably better than I would. The
Quantum T flashes are probably better for most people than the X
flashes. I agree that Dan's auction would be a better deal for most
people.

The X flashes require a command module which is fairly expensive. The
advantage is that they have a large heavy lead battery option which
works very well for some uses. The T flashes use smaller but still
very capable batteries. The T flash head generally sells used at a
slightly higher price than the X flash head because it requires fewer
$ to get a working system. The bulbs are different. The T head
probably has the capacitors in the head while the X head surely has
capacitors in the command module (and maybe in the head also).

The X battery pack can be configured to power two X heads each putting
out 400 ws. But that requires a cable from each head to the battery
pack, limiting where the pieces can be placed.

I believe Jan mentioned some aspects of "customer impact" a flash
system can have. One customer watched me constantly firing off rapid
fire three long bursts for exposure bracketing (multiple wireless
slaves) and was very impressed. Basically since the flash is run at
much less than full power, I fire off three flashes as quick as the
E-1 will fire. The customer impact can indeed generate more $ but it
is hard to quantify. If he sees you doing something he can't come
close to doing, he values your work more.

My own experience buying used Quantum X batteries is that the lead
batteries are much less likely to need to be repaired than the smaller
NiMH. Also, Quantum charges less to repair the lead batteries.

Trying to understand the Quantum flash system by going through
Quantum's web site can be frustrating.

-jeff