[OM] Re: Signs of Spring in UK

Subject: [OM] Re: Signs of Spring in UK
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:06:56 +0000
Silver maples are trash trees. I've got two in the front yard that I wish I
hadn't planted 30 years ago. The limbs break off easily, and the damn roots run
along the top of the ground, and in the only area of the yard I have to mow. I
grew up in a house surrounded by sugar maples. There's no comparison; they just
grow slower, but they're hardwoods. I don't think there was a single one I
didn't climb almost to the top as a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_maple

And we're supposed to hit 82 here today. I just went out and cleaned the leaves
off the top of the AC compressor, just in case it suits me to turn it on.

Daffs here are about done. I took some shots with the Leica, but the film's not
back yet.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>

> le wilcox de joel a écrit
> > MIght hit 80 here today in New France.  Daffs can't be far off, but
> > I've been chasing those banks of snow on the north slopes of hills
> > before they are completely melted.  I don't expect to see much left
> > when I go out later today.
>
> It's pretty mushy out around here in the central part of New France.
> The only piles left were put there by plows or the wind.  However,
> the damage from the ice storm is now more visible than ever.  It was
> really nasty around here.  My big silver-maple (is there any other
> color?) lost about 1/3 of it's mass.  That should help with the
> raking next fall.  It's anything but attractive right now with mud
> mixed with branches and other detrius.  Everybody has been piling up
> the branches at the curbs for the city to pickup.  In some
> neighborhoods you can barely see the houses because the branches are
> piled up so high.  Most yards generated as much as a dump-truck load.
>  Ugh.  Of course, half of those branched came down onto the utility
> lines causing wide-spread blackouts, loss of telephone service and
> horrors of all horrors--no cable TV!

--snip--