[OM] Re: OT Me and FedEx incompetence

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Me and FedEx incompetence
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:22:26 -0700
Timpe, Jim wrote:
> Your inquiry seemed OK to me.  Succinct and to the point.
> They're all getting too lazy IMHO.  I've found packages left by the door
> when we're at home and would have certainly heard a knock or ring.  Gets
> very frustrating.  Drop and run.
It's intentional. Those folks are in a very competitive business. If
their drivers waited for someone to come to the door for every delivery,
their costs would skyrocket, as would shipping costs. Or of course, they
could go bust if the competition didn't follow suit.

If you want the special service, just have your shipper send it
signature required. Costs more and you have to go get it if you aren't
home, though.

I'd be willing to bet that each delivery area/zone/route, whatever, is
rated by risk of loss. As long as the costs of replacing lost and stolen
packages is below a preset level, packages there will be drop and run.
Not drop and walk, the drivers are under considerable pressure to meet
performance criteria. They are just paying you a compliment on the nice
neighborhood where you live. :-)

Everybody just drops packages on my doorstep. I take it as a good sign.

> Or steal and lie?

Of course thats possible. You can bet there are metrics designed to
flush out the drivers doing that too.

In any case, they should replace Walt's package if they can't find it.

Moose