[OM] Re: Flash stuff - conclusion

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash stuff - conclusion
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:39:51 -0400
I use them because they're cheap and do the job (mostly).  I find that
they function reliably but range and directionality vary wildly from one
sample to the other.  I have 4 of the older style 4 channel units w/o PC
connectors (model YHDC-B) and one of the newer 16 channel units with PC
connector.  I bought 16 channel since that's all that was available at
the time and I bought this type because it had a PC connection and, as
you said, advertised a longer range (50 meter vs 30 if I recall).

The first sample of 16 channel had a range of about 10 feet and was
erratic at that.  Cost me money to return it to China.  The second
sample is usable but has a bizarre signal strength pattern.  Different
ranges off left, right, front and back but the left side is considerably
weaker than the other three.  I think the thing to do with these is
order half a dozen, test them all and throw out half.

I have some friends who have Pocket Wizards who laugh at my cheap
transmitters.  They have no range problems... if they can get the Pocket
Wizard to turn on.  Of the three owners of Pocket Wizards that I know
with 8 Pocket Wizards between them there isn't a one that has a reliable
on-off switch.  They're constantly banging them into their hands to get
them to turn on.  For something that costs close to $400 for a pair
you'd think they could spend an extra 50 cents on the switch.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt