[OM] Re: lighting, the case for packs

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting, the case for packs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 02:46:29 -0700
Jan Steinman wrote:

> What? Unwilling to comment on something you don't understand?
Yes, although I know you would disagree. I have a degree in economics
from Berkeley and continued some study on my own after that. Then I
spent over 30 years at the headquarters of a Fortune 500 company doing
stuff that let me in on a lot of inner workings. I find the statements
and underlying assumptions of many who would save he world to reveal a
serious naiveté about some aspects of business, economics and political
economy.

When I disagree with their goals and they have no power, I don't care.
When I think their larger goals and mine are similar and that the means
they propose have a fatal flaw, I find it hard not to speak up. In most
of the cases where I have commented on these quotes, it has been a
simple matter of logical extension of the statement to show the
underlying implications.

I personally believe that logic has a very limited area of validity. But
in these cases, it is a tool I find often illuminating.
> You're slipping, Moose! :-)

Now who's trying to set a conflagration? :-)
> It's from a seminal work in environmental ecology, "The Tragedy of
> the Commons."
>
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Thanks for the reference. Haven't read and absorbed it all yet.  A
relatively recent and local event that may be an instance is the
collapse and demise of a couple of No. Cal. Indian tribes as a result of
overfishing of a river.
> :::: You must be the change you wish to see in the world -- Ghandi ::::

I like this one.

Moose