[OM] lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:13:21 +1030
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 09:14:32PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Don't know about 'Stralia, but in North America, lighting consumes
> about 25% of all electric energy use. Cut that by 80% and I think the
> savings are more like gigajoules, rather than nano-bugger-alls.

Sounds wonderful, yes! until you remember that 25% will include
industrial, commercial, street, & utility lighting (99.999% already
high-efficiency gas-discharge types), causing masses of light pollution
for our astrophotographers to grind their teeth over! The 30-odd 4X40W
fluoro battens on one floor of my office building would use more
lighting power than my whole street.

I think we're on different wavelengths again... :)

What we are talking about is installing  say 6-10 CFL's in a domestic
situation, a very small proportion of which are used at all and those
for maybe up to 6-10  hours per day.  As I understand it the accepted
domestic lighting consumption figure is more like 2% of a 'normal'
domestic bill (still looking for a current reference as I have to write
to my MP about this farce...) that would be in total around $2 per month
for us, before the lamp transplant... & compared to most people I know
we're relatively hungry...

> ...our hydro bill (that's electricity to those of you outside of
> Canada) went down by almost  $10 a month.

Man, your power must be expensive over there!!!!

then ther'es the value judgemant one needs to make about disposal. is
it: "carbon in atmosphere bad... mercury in water table good..."???

davidt