[OM] (OM) OT Win XP processes

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Win XP processes
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:52:51 +1300
Hi all,

Moose recommended a program for reporting running computer processes,
that is available via the M/S site, and I have downloaded and run that.
However, I was and am certain I have seen other programs, probably M/S
ones, already on the machine but have forgotten where or what.

Tonight I found a new set.   And it happened just after I had connected to the
internet but wasn't doing anything myself.

First of all Norton Ghost which seems to be still functioning although
payment is in arrears, reported repelling an invasion attempt by a trojan.
Could be true or could be B/S.

Next, I noted a series of fairly short but sustained lighting up of the ISP
connection lights.

Shortly after, I was browsing through the start menu program list and entered
"Administrative Tools", "Component Services", and there are a whole lot of
subfiles which report events.

Event viewer (Local)
Services ( Local) etc etc

What really bothers me is that in addition to reporting what programs started
automatically or not ( includes Norton Ghost), it also reported multiple
connections by the "Live Update Services". These are the cause of the lights
I observed.
Today, yesterday and every other day the machine was connected,
according to the very long log file..

I presume it is connections by XP to M/S. I have yet to find out. I do not like
the idea of this MacHine ( I knew I could get a reference to Macs in here
somewhere), talking to M/S and reporting goodness knows what.

This is an ongoing matter. (scowl)

Next, with the line connected to the outside world but nothing switched on,
my phone rang. The computer answered it. Assuming it was a FAX. Twice.

It was in fact a call from the UK, and with the bum response, they thought
they had made a dialling error.   Something else I have to learn to control :-(
Like, I really needed that.

For the third time in 2 days I have downloaded a fresh version of Vuescan
from the Vuescan remote link, and as for the previous two installations, it
crashed after installation. I have reported to Ed Hamrick, but no response.

Brian