[OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:23:30 -0600
> I am still waiting for the led bulbs to reach suitable stage of
> development I can't believe why no one is taking this form of lighting
> seriously, then we will see some major savings and benefits.

  That's because they're not all that bright, not all that cheap, and
not all that efficient, basically. 20,000mcd LEDs are pretty cheap, but
you need a heck of a lot of them to create an equivalent amount of light
to a normal 60W bulb -- if you step up to Luxeon/Cree emitters, you get
more light out, but those are several dollars each and you'll _still_
need numbers of them.

  Not to mention directionality, colour, and (for me at any rate)
flicker issues. Did everyone else notice the awful flicker that comes
off the new LED christmas lights? We're using them to save power, sure,
but I wish they didn't 'buzz' so much.

  All that said, if you want to buy drop-in replacement LED bulbs, it's
certainly doable now; dealextreme.com sells them.

  -- dan