[OM] LED bulb efficiency

Subject: [OM] LED bulb efficiency
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:25:17 -0600
swisspace wrote:
> I am still waiting for the led bulbs to reach suitable stage of
> development I can't believe why no one is taking this form of lighting
> seriously, then we will see some major savings and benefits.

  Okay, I found some numbers; quoting from

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1477 (61-LED 110v bulb, $8.74)

  - - - snip - - -
If the 61 LED version has 30 degree 18,000 MCD LEDs, the output should
be roughly 180-240 lumens. A typical 60 watt incandescent has an output
of about 850-900 lumens. This equates an efficiency of about 33 lumens
per watt for these LED units. This is much better than the 15 lumens per
watt most tungsten bulbs average, but not as good as your $3 compact
fluorescents from the hardware store which should average about 50-55
lumens per watt.
  - - - snip - - -

  -- dan