[OM] Re: Digital Curves [WAS]: Panny sensors?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Curves [WAS]: Panny sensors?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:54:41 -0700
I don't have the new camera control software. It used to be included
in previous versions of Nikon Capture and unless there was a hidden
option I was not aware of you did not get to see the mapping curve.
Adding custom curves did not show you how they were mapped either.
What you continue to get is a the straight line on the histogram. I
tried a couple of the more popular custom curves and after a while I
found that I preferred Nikon's curve. It may not look as pretty out
of the camera, but it almost never destroyed data. Most of them boost
the midtone exposure slightly and increase the contrast. I have not
explored it further but I really think a better technique might be to
create an action you could apply to all your images so that you could
recall the original if you did not like the result.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA