[OM] Re: OT Me and FedEx incompetence

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Me and FedEx incompetence
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:48:54 -0500
On Wed March 14 2007 1:45 pm, ScottGee1 wrote:

> I want some of what the developers were drinking (smoking? - it was
> the sixties) when they put all of this together.

In the 80's I delivered pizza in Albany NY while going to school. One street
(one of the Wellingtons IIRC)  was numbered in what appear random order. I
know 78 was at one end 80 was at the other an 62 was in the middle. That
address must have ordered a god awful lot of pizza since every driver knew
exactly where it was.

> ScottGee1
>
> On 3/14/07, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've GOT to ask.
> > How can something called Wendy Lane have 2,965 houses in it?
> > I've never understood how murkins have such huge address numbers.
> > Is there some numbering protocol that I don't understand?
> > Andrew Fildes
> > afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To answer this question  there are now numbering protocols that relate to the
emergency response system (911). I know in my county that while they didn't
change road names they did change numbering systems so that no road of the
same name anywhere in the county repeated with the same number. For all I
know the numbers may not repeat period. They also left enough space between
the numbers so that I think you could build 16 houses on each property and
still have numbers left over.  All in all I guess it wasn't a bad deal
considering that people who have emergencies and need help aren't always the
most coherent individuals in this world.

We also have the oddity in someplaces where fire departments and towns don't
line up. For example my address is Durhamville and the fire department is
Durhamville, but if you walk a few houses up the road the addresses are still
Durhamville but the fire department is New London. Not very much farther up
the road and Verona Beach comes into play. They do become territorial on each
other to help matters, even though any fire will involve volunteers from
multiple departments. I'm sure the local train derailment sucked up almost
all the resourcess around here. Oneida is only a city of 11,000 with the
closest big cities 25 miles east and west of it.