[OM] Re: LED bulb efficiency

Subject: [OM] Re: LED bulb efficiency
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:58:32 -0700
> From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
>
> If the 61 LED version has 30 degree 18,000 MCD LEDs, the output should
> be roughly 180-240 lumens. A typical 60 watt incandescent has an
> output
> of about 850-900 lumens. This equates an efficiency of about 33 lumens
> per watt for these LED units. This is much better than the 15
> lumens per
> watt most tungsten bulbs average, but not as good as your $3 compact
> fluorescents from the hardware store which should average about 50-55
> lumens per watt.

But lumens are misleading -- it's a measure of luminous flux, or
total field strength.

You really need to express it in terms of "luminance" which has an
area component. If you express it in lamberts (pi candelas per square
centimeter), the LED may light a desktop or sink or kitchen range
more efficiently than a CFB could.

As I said before, LEDs for task lighting, CFBs for area lighting.

:::: I dread success. To have succeeded is to have finished one's
business on earth, like the male spider, who is killed by the female
the moment he has succeeded in his courtship. I like a state of
continual becoming, with a goal in front and not behind. -- George
Bernard Shaw ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::