[OM] Re: Signs of Spring in UK

Subject: [OM] Re: Signs of Spring in UK
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:04:10 -0500
On 3/13/07, Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Silver maples are trash trees. I've got two in the front yard that I wish I
> hadn't planted 30 years ago. The limbs break off easily, and the damn roots
> run along the top of the ground, and in the only area of the yard I have to
> mow. I grew up in a house surrounded by sugar maples. There's no comparison;
> they just grow slower, but they're hardwoods. I don't think there was a
> single one I didn't climb almost to the top as a kid.

I know they're trash trees, but they survive.  I lost 7 trees in the
flood of 1993, including a hard maple, two wonderful pines, an oak, a
pear tree, a wonder apple tree that I used to share with the deer, and
another small fruit tree.  After that experience, surviver trees seem
good to me.  River birches also survived, along with the ash trees.  I
had silver maples and I was about the only guy with shade trees in my
neighborhood after that lovely time.

If you're thinking that people probably shouldn't live where I live,
you're probably right.

Joel W.