[OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 02:05:05 +1030
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:43:34PM +0000, Walt Wayman wrote:

> For a couple of years, when I was about 11 or 12 years old, a friend,
> Tommy Greene, and I used to ride our bicycles, pulling our little Radio
> Flyer wagons with a rope, to the local dump to dig out returnable
> bottles, which had a 2-cent value each. Bought us a lot of comic books
> and candy. Not sure if either benefited us much, but we felt like
> entreprenuers.

The return value (5 cents for PET(plastic) & glass bottles, softdrink
cans, flavoured milk & juice cartons) of the returnable bottles is so
small people just throw them away. The kids/oldies fish them out of
public bins & off the public parks & roads (which is good), but the ones
that go into landfill are lost. They are trying to teach a shift in this
attitude in schools (my little one's class got a lunch & party  out of
the years' recycle refund & they're doing it again this year), but
there's a little way to go yet.

davidt