[OM] Re: Macro lighting.

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro lighting.
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:54:41 -0600
> Someone recently was asking about closeup/macro lighting.
> I was on the point of converting a cheap starblitz ring flash to work
> with L.E.D.s but then I spotted this on the bay....no connection etc.
>  Do you think the idea is sound with static subjects?
>
>  eb*y no 330099343572

  Well, the lighting looks even enough, so I don't see any reason why it
wouldn't work -- and it's not all _that_ expensive.

  The only question is how bright it actually is -- I've been doing
macro stuff with the subject about three inches away from a 60W bulb;
exposure time is 1/2 second or so there. By comparison, even the 10GN
builtin flash on an E-330 is bright enough to illuminate things for a
flash's worth of duration.

  So, as you said, static subjects only -- but at that point, it seems
like you could just make up a light tent out of white paper or suchlike,
there's been a bunch of instructions for those floating around.

  (if you want to give it a try on the cheap, you can get a lot of LEDs
very cheaply -- amigoofchina on the bay sells 100x10,000 mcd LEDs for
$24-ish, and those ones will run off fairly flexible voltages, so you
could make something up to see how it works out. Heck, I should try that
myself..)

  -- dan

  -- dan