[OM] Re: Digital Curves [WAS]: Panny sensors?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Curves [WAS]: Panny sensors?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:06:47 -0700
I think you answered your own question. A true raw image is what I
would guess is a three stop range the left third of a histogram. It
gets remapped before it comes out as what we know as a raw image.
Part of that remapping involves varying amounts of processing
depending on the philosophy of the maker. Unlike the film response
curve which translates directly to an image, negative or positive,
the response of the sensor has a layer of remapping and massaging on
top of it. You are right, I think. The response curve of the sensor
does not matter much since it is mathematically corrected before you
get it anyway.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA