[OM] Re: Digital Curves [WAS]: Panny sensors?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Curves [WAS]: Panny sensors?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:00:23 -0700
Just two more cents for me.

I don't know a great deal about it, but using my eyes on a monitor I
fail to see the "vast differences". I see some differences and
usually they are fairly subtle, at least to me, unless the camera
maker sells a particular response as a feature. All they represent
are the camera default settings which dpreview tends to use in their
testing. That GretagMacBeth response is easily modified by a camera
setting or post processing or both. Regardless, you can create a
curve in ACR and other raw converters to get the response to the
Gretag even closer if that is your thing. Odd to me that it should be
such a concern when there is much less variation that way than with
film images.

As for the point that the Gretag image is the only test used for
color response in tests that is only mostly true. The second most
frequent method is the software called Imatest written by Norman
Koren which is available to anyone with the price.

http://www.imatest.com/

I have seen it used by Michael Reichmann on occasion and it is
regularly used in the reviews by Dave Eschells on Imaging-resource.
An example:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D2XS/D2XSIMATEST.HTM

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA