[OM] : Signs of Spring in New France

Subject: [OM] : Signs of Spring in New France
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:05:59 +1300
Joel wrote

> Here are some photos from earlier in the week during a couple days of
> nice, warm weather:
>
> http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/March/index.html
>
> No truly real signs of spring other than diminishing snow.  Some sweet
> light though.
>
> Equipment:
> E-330, DZs 11-22, 14-54, 50-200;  Lowepro Micro Trekker 200, Honda CB
> 650 Nighthawk :)
>
> Joel W.
Nice photos Joel, and it's great to see some landscapes from another place.

However, the quality of the web images seems to me to indicate problems,
and I wonder what software was used to make the thumbnails and the
resized main images.  I ask this because all of those I looked at bear the
distinct signs of being modified jpegs; ie, prior to resizing they were not
first
converted to some form of raw file, or in the case of adobe, pdf or other
format.   The jpeg format is a lossy one, and direct editing of it results in
degradation every time as I'm sure you know.

This takes the form of fuzzy pixelation and displaced spots of image at the
margins of distinct features. What it does to finer-featured items such as
multiple blades of grass I can only guess. Sometimes there are marks of
lines parallel to distinct linear features such as dark poles, and they show in
the sky alongside.

May I suggest treating some of the originals to resizing using Irfanview? I
feel
sure that a quality improvement will show.

Sincerely,

Brian