[OM] Re: Mini Macro questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Mini Macro questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 07:59:22 -0400

Moose wrote:

>> Even though both have the same DOF at equivalent apertures and
>> magnification I was thinking that the 105 might ultimately be more
>> preferable for DOF if the larger lens diameter allowed a smaller
>> aperture to be used before diffraction limits set in.
> According to cambridgeincolour
> <http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm>,
> there in no difference:

Thanks for the reference on diffraction limits on lens aperture.  It's
that same page where I discoverd pixel size diffraction limits but I
never read all the way to the bottom to find the last paragraph on
physical size of the lens aperture.

>> Interestingly, the 8MP 4/3 sensors are diffraction limited beyond f/5.6
>>
> Whoa! So my recent advice to Scott to stop down further in aid of DOF
> will soften the overall image even as it brings more into focus. Maybe
> that's the reason for the rumors of FF sensors from more manufacturers.
>> and the 5D sensor is diffraction limited beyond f/11.
> That I haven't noticed, but it may be subtle at f16-22 and lost in other
> factors like DOF, focal accuracy and motion.

If you haven't noticed softening at 16-22 he many not notice it either
at 8-11.  A test with some contrived really fine detail might be
required since subtle loss of detail in real world images might not be
noticed except by side-by-side comparison.

Chuck Norcutt