[OM] (OM) OT XP thoughts

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT XP thoughts
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:45:41 +1200
Hi all

Some more observations on XP and Nortons. Old hat to those of you who
have these - or had them.

Winzip - XP (its own RAR-Zip program) pretends to not understand the file
name extensions of spanned floppy disk sets created by Winzip. It reported
the set I was trying to unzip was corrupt, and I went along with the argument
until I realised what was going on.  Fixed that by installing genuine Winzip
from www.pt.lu/comnet/

Nortons often reports that it has detected and blocked a virus intrusion. Then
I realised this is total B/S because it reports this even when the computer is
totally disconnected from the phone line.  :-(  Another black mark on Nortons.

The Nortons Live update service is interesting. When I have the phone line
connected but am not connected to my ISP, it tells me that it is updating.
However, there is no other sign that it is. Maybe it is a silent service like
the
MS FAX program (which, by the way, I had to deal to because it was
capturing my phone calls). So I will be taking a close look at the logged calls
in my next monthly telephone account from Telecom. They might be able to
fool me, but Telecom won't let a toll call slip through their sticky fingers.

I am trying to find a way to keep Ghost alive while killing off the rest of the
Nortons program. I think I have another copy of Ghost somewhere, and if I
find it, that is likely to be the end of the line for Symantec on this computer.

The XP computer has a CPU that is 15 times faster than the 133 KHZ cpu on
this machine. However, file operations such as starting programs such as
browser, Word, and Windows Explorer move at a glacial pace, taking as
much as 20 - 30 seconds, and frequently not responding At All.
This 133 machine is amazingly faster.

Brian