[OM] : Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts

Subject: [OM] : Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:26:36 +1200
Mark wrote
> Hi Brian,
>
> I think I saw that you bought this machine used.  I really really
> really think you need to wipe your system and start fresh with a new
> install of XP.  I think you're inheriting someone else's system that
> is poorly-configured at best and virus-ridden at worst.  And even if
> it isn't, why take the chance?
>
> One other thing to check is that you have as much memory as you
> thought you bought.  If you don't have enough memory it will need to
> use swap space on the disk drive as memory just for running the OS,
> which slows things enormously.  Did I mention that I think you need to
> wipe the drive and start over? :)
>
> Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your input.   I installed and ran AVG and Lavasoft Adaware within
about a day of getting it running. No viruses found, and while there were
about 68 ad programs found (and deleted) they were all non-serious ones.

Unfortunately the lady vendor cannot yet find the original XP CD, and thinks
that the shop guy who set the machine up for her tossed it in the computer
carton after setting the machine up in the shop. She is going to look though
the pile of cartons in her garage for it. I have all the other CDs I need but
not
that one. I'm not going to pester her for a while as her mother is critically
ill.

It's actually a fairly new machine - a little over 2 years old. Most (or all)
of the
software prior to my purchase would have been installed by the vendor
company, so should have been done OK.

Aida32 reports that there is (motherboard?) memory of 247MB which is 72%
occupied (68 MB free), and a separate memory chip DDR DSRAM of 256
MB.   There is 20 GB of HDD space free.

I really don't see why Acrobat 9 Pro has to be pre-loaded, why Ghost has to
be pre loaded and why a CD burner program called Alcohol 120% also has to
be pre-loaded.   I'm just feeling my way, and have yet to find methods of re-
setting (undoing) the pre-load command.

Even if I can not remedy these annoying characteristics, the machine is still
hugely more image-editing capable than the other devices I have, which is
why I bought it.

Cheers, Brian