[OM] Re: Mini Macro questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Mini Macro questions
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:08:50 -0600
> I didn't quite understand what you did with the 2 x converter, I did follow
> the jar lid and the 7 mm lens.

  The 2x converter is just there to give me a lens monunt. I had an old
junky 2x converter sitting around -- parts of that are, from camera end
outwards:

  flanges that fit into a body
  bunch of glass and tubing and stuff
  flanges that a lens fits into.

  I wanted the first ones, so I unscrewed that bit from the rest of the
converter, Dremelled away the extra stuff, and used it as a lens mount.
A body cap would have the same effect, or as also pointed out, a
reversing ring.

  (original use of this gutted teleconverter was to make a rudimentary
Lensbaby, but I could never find a decent material to make the bellows
out of between lens and body).

> It might be handy to have something like that
> for the occasional small item, but I think at 7 mm.... that might be smaller
> than anything I need to shoot, though I want to see the composition of those
> grains of pollen, now that I think of it.

  Nature is definitely the way to go for really close up -- manmade
stuff runs out of detail past a certain point, but nature keeps on
making crinkles/hairs/scales/etc as you get closer in..

  -- dan