[OM] OT Xp Computer

Subject: [OM] OT Xp Computer
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:56:54 +1200
Hi all

Thanks for all your input.

One of the first things I did was defragment. It really didn't need it as all
the
removed files were in one huge solid block and nothing was messed up. But I
did it anyway. It made very little change.

msconfig.exe didn't bother me. By the stage I got to it I knew the names of
the programs that were clogging the system, and left all else alone.

It bothered me when the administration area link disappeared from the start
menu programs list, then I tripped over another link to restore it, so it's
back
again.   XP has multiple methods to use to configure it. Amazing.
Designed by a committee.

I have antivirus and anti malware programs installed and running. I'm using
just the XP firewall. Never had one before.

The Symantec Nortons suite are the most pernicious programs I have ever
encountered. Just as I think I finally have justifiably screwed up my courage,
decided they can be switched off, and do it; up they pop again and I have to
hunt around for more switches.  I have only one last bas**rd to kill off.

The MacHine is running fairly sweetly now. Most programs start within a
reasonable time of double click on the desktop icon I have placed there; but
not always. Windows Explorer opens up fairly fast now; MILES  faster than 2
weeks ago.  It's about what I hoped to buy, and now I can concentrate on
using it.   Photos, here I come !!

But I WILL get those other programs you guys recommended. Thanks.

Brian