[OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]

Subject: [OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:36:46 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Jan Steinman wrote:

> I'll start: mine is working fine. I thought about re-configuring the
> registry today, but I don't seem to have one. I also considered de-
> fragging the hard disk, but there isn't any software, Mac or third
> party, to do that, so I guess I'm feeling left out. I looked around
> for "crap that installs itself at start up," but I couldn't find any,
> and I couldn't find the Mac equivalent of "Startup Inspector"
> anywhere for me to buy. I tried to download some drivers, but every
> disk or camera or peripheral I use just seems to work without much
> downloading. I'm really baffled, because people keep telling me my
> Mac was too expensive, but they're buying all these utilities that no
> one is making for the Mac -- I guess they're right that there is less
> software for the Mac!

You must be running some magical Mac over there, mine sure doesn't seems
to look like yours.  A registry, yup, all those millions of plist files
all over the place.  Startup stuff, now where did it all go, yup that
program must be automatically started from /System/Library/LaunchDaemons,
wait, no, it must be in /System/Library/StartupItems, or maybe it's in
/Library/StartupItems, it surely must be in /Library/LaunchDaemons, or
maybe in ~/Library.  Arrgh, I sure wish I had something like Startup
Inspector :-)  I really wish my old Epson printer was recognised beyond
a simple USB printer.  It would be nice to be able to run a cleaning cycle
when I replace the cartridge.  Don't even get me started with the mess
that Rosetta makes with shared memory.

I could go on but you get the idea.  The Mac's have their problems just as
Windows has theirs.  I still like the Mac and use it every day, but I also
run Windows on it using Parallels.  I guess that must make me a heretic but
I don't care, I use whatever works best for me.  There are still too many
Windows based tools that just don't exist on a Mac. (QImage, IMatch,
ACDsee, etc.).
                                        -mark