[OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]

Subject: [OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:58:59 -0600
Mark Dapoz wrote:
> You must be running some magical Mac over there, mine sure doesn't seems
> to look like yours.  A registry, yup, all those millions of plist files
> all over the place.  Startup stuff, now where did it all go, yup that
> program must be automatically started from /System/Library/LaunchDaemons,
> wait, no, it must be in /System/Library/StartupItems, or maybe it's in
> /Library/StartupItems, it surely must be in /Library/LaunchDaemons, or
> maybe in ~/Library.

  Or possibly in /etc/rc.d, depending on if it's _really_ unix-y, etc.

  I use a Mac and a Windows PC at work for development, and at home I
have a PC and my wife a Mac -- both have their problems, but my main
objection ot the Mac is that if something doesn't work, you're basically
stuffed.

  For instance, wireless networks. OSX 10.4, all patched up, but still,
from time to time, the Mac will decide it doesn't like the wireless
network setup, and that's basically that -- the only fix is to pick
another SSID for the network, and re-point everything at that one to
make the Mac happy.

  Look up how to fix it online, and there's a whole bunch of
instructions, none of which work -- the problem is that wireless
networking on the Mac is broken and can get into a state where it claims
it's sending out WEP authentication info, but running a wireless packet
sniffer, the Mac is simply lying. (possibly, somewhere in /Library or
/Preferences, there's a file which is filling up with junk data about
the old unusable SSIDs, but I'd have to find that by poking around by hand).

  And that's the problem I have with Macs -- without finding the tip for
fixing this on a discussion board somewhere, it would have been
impossible to fix this without reinstalling OSX, no matter how many
times I followed the instructions.  All the Mac will tell me is
"couldn't connect", but why it can't connect is impossible to detect.
Windows PCs may have a bunch of settings that the user can break, but
the user can also use them to fix things.

  When Mac's work, great. When they don't, you're stuffed..

  -- dan