[OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]

Subject: [OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:17:15 -0700
> From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
>
> (try getting networked printing to work on
> a Mac, too -- again, there's fundamental brokennesses down in Tiger
> somewhere, and while I could find a fix by browsing forums and
> manually
> editing files, I wish the interface had a mid-level between the "click
> here and it'll magically work" level which is great when accurate, but
> useless when not, and 'vi /etc/printcap' or whatever).

I think you mean, "Try getting Macs to print to a Microsoft print
server," or something similar.

On a homogenous network, Macs are the easiest thing in the world to
network. It Just Works. No configuration.

People show up with their Apple laptops and automatically connect to
my wireless network and Bonjour automatically detects my HP8500 and
they can simply select that printer from the menu of any print
dialog, without re-booting or even without re-starting an application
that had just been someplace else, printing on some other AppleTalk
network.

So is it fair to say that what your blaming Apple for "fundamental
brokennesses" is more like the French blaming the English for not
speaking French properly?

I know that people who show up with Windows laptops can't print to my
network printer, and I can't help them, either. But I'm not going to
blame that on Windows' "fundamental brokennesses" -- though it would
delight me to do so!

It's always the status-quo that blames the eccentric for being
different.

:::: The whole aim of practical politics isto keep the poplace
alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless
series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. -- HL Mencken
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AQ25-27>