[OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]

Subject: [OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:14:30 -0600
Jan Steinman wrote:
> So is it fair to say that what your blaming Apple for "fundamental
> brokennesses" is more like the French blaming the English for not
> speaking French properly?

  No -- my problem is, as it always is on the Mac, that the Mac claims
things should work, then they don't work, and there's no
(non-edlin-based) way for the user to fix them.

  If I use the Mac's expected UI to connect to a printer, then the Mac
can see the computer the printer lives on, it can see the printer, but
it won't connect to it. It says "connecting...", then nothing happens.

  As I said, there's a bug in Tiger -- it creates an incorrect config
file somewhere; if I start the config process, get halfway through,
manually open a command window, go in and fix the broken file, then
continue the config process, things work. However, that doesn't make
Tiger any less broken for creating the incorrect file in the first
place. It _can_ work, but my objection is that Apple make it look as if
there's something wrong with the outside world, when the problem is with
their stuff.

> It's always the status-quo that blames the eccentric for being
> different.

  Well, if "the eccentric" is allowed to include "being broken, but
lying to the user about what's going on", then sure.  In general, the
underlying BSD behind OSX works as well as any Unix does -- but the
Apple stuff on top is very bad about doing the wrong thing and then
lying to the user about what it's doing.

  -- dan